The world's biggest scientific documented health website for the happiness and health of your family, with science and faith we build the balance

107861362

Investigation of human colostrum Helicobacter pylori IgA content in lactating women.

Investigation of human colostrum Helicobacter pylori IgA content in lactating women.









No. Divisions/Titles for Abstract Details

1 Abstract Title Investigation of human colostrum Helicobacter pylori IgA content in lactating women.


2 Abstract Source European Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology and Reproductive Biology
Volume 124, Issue 1, Pages 58-60.


3 Abstract Author(s) Tanriverdi, H. A., Acun, C., Ustundag, G., Barut, A., Tekin, I. O. & Ustundag, Y.


4 Article Affiliation a Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Karaelmas University, Medical School, 67600 Kozlu, Zonguldak, Turkey
b Department of Pediatrics, Karaelmas University Medical School, 67600 Kozlu, Zonguldak, Turkey
c Department of Immunology, Karaelmas University Medical School, 67600 Kozlu, Zonguldak, Turkey
d Department of Gastroenterology, Karaelmas University Medical School,
67600 Kozlu, Zonguldak, Turkey.


5 Abstract Objective: The objective was to investigate the colostral H. pylori-specific IgA content in a sample of the female population in Turkey where a high endemicity for H. pylori has always been reported.
Materials and methods: One hundred and sixty-one pregnant women with positive serum H. pylori IgG antibody at the time of the last trimester were enrolled into the study. During the initial postpartum 24 h, we obtained colostrum samples from each mother to test the presence and concentration of H. pylori-specific IgA. Breast milk antibody concentrations of H. pylori were measured by commercial ELISA tests. Sample absorbance/cut-off absorbance (s/c) ratio was used for semiquantitative interpretation. Ratios >1.1 were considered positive, ratios  1.1 negative. The statistical significance was tested by the Mann–Whitney U-test, and p < 0.05 was regarded as statistically significant.
Results: At least 2 ml of colostrum was obtained and analyzed (mean volume 2.5   0.45 ml). The results indicated the absence of H. pylorispecific IgA in 64 colostral samples (39.8%). However, the rest of the women (n = 97; 60.2%) had a mean H. pylori-specific IgA s/c ratio of 4.31   2.51 (range 1.2–10.3) in their colostral milk samples. The mean gestational age at the time of delivery was 38 weeks and 5 days, and the mean birth weight was 3, 224   433 g (range 4, 300–1, 940 g). Gestational age at birth and mode of delivery were not correlated with the colostral-specific IgA levels.
Conclusions: Most of the lactating women (60.2%), who were seropositive for H. pylori, had some IgA in their colostral milk. Colostral milk theoretically can decrease H. pylori and perhaps many other enteric infections, whether or not it contains H. pylori-specific IgA. Therefore, breastfeeding is of utmost importance for neonates and should be encouraged. The H. pylori-specific IgA antibody concentration of colostral milk should be investigated in large-scale prospective studies for its effectiveness in the protection against neonatal transmission of this infection.


6 Summary Most of the lactating women (60.2%), who were seropositive for H. pylori, had some IgA in their colostral milk. Colostral milk theoretically can decrease H. pylori and perhaps many other enteric infections, whether or not it contains H. pylori-specific IgA. Therefore, breastfeeding is of utmost importance for neonates and should be encouraged.


7 Article Published Date 18 feb 2005.


8 Study Type Clinical.


9 Substances colostrum.


10 Diseases H pylori infections.


11 Pharmacological Actions Helicobacter pylori IgA ( anti h pylori ) .


12 Link https://goo.gl/jsZ377








videos balancecure


Share it



Subscribe with our newsletter


Comments

No Comments

Add comment

Made with by Tashfier

loading gif
feedback